– We love this tasty way to dress up a box of macaroni and cheese. All you need are a few canned goods, an onion and a green pepper. If you want to go for a south of the border favor… add some salsa or green chilies or taco seasoning or just throw on your Urban Sombrero. It’s easy, fast and comforting!
- 1 (5.5 ounce) box mac & cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can chili with or without beans
- Add black beans for extra flair
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Boil macaroni in a medium pot over medium-high heat until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, sautee the onion and pepper in butter over medium heat until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in chili, corn, tomatoes and content of cheese packet.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in cooked macaroni and top with cheddar cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Ruthie’s Culinary Clues: Like it hot? Add a dash of dried red pepper flakes when stirring in the chili. Not a fan of spicy foods? Replace the tomatoes and green chilies with a can of plain diced tomatoes. Use canned chili with or without beans or add some black beans for extra flair! get creative. It’s your call. Serve this stovetop dish with Fritos or tortilla chips. OR slap it on some soft tortillas. Oh, yes! That’s how we get fancy at the trailer park!