– Here is a favorite of ours – Its a variation of everybody’s favorite dump cake. (or if you are so inclined – a fruit tea cake). Whatever! It’s a great, easy cake for a potluck or just because. Add Cynthia’s special sauce and its also guaranteed to raise the dead – or at least cure what ails you. (Hence the term, resurrection). Sauce not suitable for youngsters or anyone who has recently taken the pledge.
- A boxed cake mix of your choice and whatever you need to add make the cake
- 16 ounces of canned fruit – (not pie filling) also your choice (you can use fruit cocktail too.)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks of butter…. yes I said 2 STICKS – thats 1/2 lb. After all, this is Wisconsin
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of Jack Daniels Black Label or other nice robust whiskey – Again – yes I said 1 CUP.
- A pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 350
- Make the cake mix according to the package directions
- Pour the mix into a deepish, well greased cake pan
- Pour the fruit over the top of the cake mix
- Cover the fruit with pats of butter and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake 30 – 40 minutes or until the cake mix rises up over the fruit (another resurrection reference) and gets nice and brown.
- Without the sauce its really quite innocent.
Cynthia’s Special Sauce *not for the faint of heart, youngsters or the recently rehabbed* NOTE: you are NOT baking or boiling or otherwise reducing the alcohol in this icing. It’s totally like ingesting the real thing.
- Blend sugar, butter and vanilla
- Add the whiskey a little at a time
- Mix until you have a nice creamy sauce – the sugar will be grainy
- Pour it over the cake – but not the part you are serving to the kids or those among you who do not imbibe.
Click here for a printable copy: Resurrection Cake with Special Sauce