– Oh HECK! Who doesn’t like Mac and Cheese? Its universal! Here’s a sweet and savory take on the old standard that may sound unique, but you’ll friggin’ love it! We promise. It has BARBECUE SAUCE and hot dogs (hence the Brewer’s angle) with applesauce as the secret ingredient to add just a touch of sweetness to the savory saucey part.. It’s great if you’re feeding kids! – And yet, it has a certain ZEST appeal for the grownups. You CAN make a silk purse out of a sows ear. TRY IT!!!! Try it out this week and let us know how you liked it.
- 1 (5.5 ounce) box mac & cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 cooked hot dogs, sliced
Come on now… if you don’t KNOW how to make boxed mac and cheese…. you prabably shouldn’t be walking around unattended.
- Boil macaroni in a medium pot over medium-high heat until al dente; drain.
- Return macaroni to pot and stir in milk, butter and contents of cheese packet.
- Stir until well combined.
- Combine barbecue sauce and applesauce in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, hot dogs and macaroni and cheese.
- Heat through. Refrigerate leftovers.
Ruthie’s Culinary Clues: The higher quality the dogs, the better this one-dish meal will be. Look for all-beef franks. I’m partial to Hebrew National Franks – the best hot dog in the universe. If desired, you can stir in a can of chili beans or a little cayenne pepper.
Cynthia Says: There’s so much to say about Mac and Cheese. If you dont have milk you can use a little water and MORE BUTTER. If you eat it all up you don’t have to bother with putting away the leftovers. Serve with a good cheap red or if you are in the mood for classing it up even more than the high end hot dogs do….. serve with a Whiskey Snapple Fizz.