Oh dear here it is Sunday morning – well almost Sunday afternoon….and you need a little hair of the dog?
All you need is:
Some sort of tomato juice base (pick one or mix and match) and some clear liquor… vodka, gin or moonshine – whatayagot?
For your tomato juicy base you can use:
- A mix (I like Mr. and Mrs T’s – I keep a supply in the fridge)
- Your basic canned tomato juice
- In desperation, I once used tomato sauce, another time, I used leftover spaghetti sauce. Get creative!
- If you are going for the basic tomato sauce thing you probably need to add Worcestershire (You can use steak sauce if you haven’t got that- personally I cant tell the difference – Don’t tell Ruthie)
- Tabasco to taste
Fill a container with ice and pour on your alcohol add the tomato mixer and garnish with something or nothing. Optional: salt the rim and serve with beer chaser.
Garnish is what makes the bloody special and you have got SOMETHING on hand. If not just serve plain. Here is a list of all the garnishes I can think of:
- Baby Corn
- Basil Sprig
- Beef Jerky
- Pickled Beans
- Leftover Burrito or Some other wrap style thing – look at the picture!
- Carrot Stick
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Cheese Cubes
- Chicken Cubes or Tenders
- Chili Peppers
- Cilantro Sprig
Come on ! You KNOW there is SOMETHING in the fridge!
- Cocktail Onions
- Cucumber Spears or wheels
- Dill Sprig
- Edible Flowers
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Wedge
- Tofu – Fried or Fresh
- Green Pepper Ring
- Hearts of Palm
- Jalapeno Popper
- Lemon, Lime, Orange or Grapefruit wedges, wheels, twists or zest
- Olives – olives stuffed with blue cheese or peppers always impress
- Onion Rings – hang ’em over a straw or another garnish!
- Parsley Sprig
- Pepperoni Stick
- Demitri’s Pepperoni Straw
- Peppers – pickled or fresh
- Pickle Spears
- Pickled Asparagus, carrots, cherry peppers, okra…pickled pickles!
- Roasted Garlic
- Rosemary Sprig
- Skewered Steak Bites
- A Whole Slider
- Smoked Oysters or Mussels
- Stuffed Olives – Stuff your own with bleu cheese, chile-peppers, garlic
- Thyme Sprig
- Water Chestnuts
- Zucchini Planks or Wheels
Take heart. SOOON you’ll be able to sit on the porch in your jammies and sip.