– Well, it’s me, Cynthia…. and I just got back from visiting my favorite old codger down on lot 3. He’s like 95 years old but he does KICK ASS barbecue and he STILL makes his OWN Sauce! As he says: “None of that store bought high fructose crap for ME…. I just throw in REAL SUGAR!!!!!! and BEER.” Beer? I says. YEAH BEER! I traded a case of PBR for this vintage recipe from back when everybody grilled with charcoal – or maybe sticks….. Its a pipperooo!
- 2 bottles 14oz. each ketchup or catsup whichever you prefer
- 1 bottle 12oz chili sauce
- 1/3 cup prepared mustard
- 1 tbsp. dry mustard
- 1 ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. coarse fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cup wine vinegar
- 1 c fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup thick steak sauce
- Tabasco to taste
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. salad oil
- 1 can – 12 oz BEER
- Minced or crushed garlic to taste
- Combine all ingredients except garlic and mix well.
- Pour into pint containers to store.
- This sauce may be stored for several weeks in the refrigerator.
- For longer storage you can freeze it.
- About an hour before using the sauce add the garlic if desired.
Makes about 6 pints so unless you are grilling a side of beef or a whole hog….. get out the plastic storage containers and freeze what you’re not going to use . And don’t forget to cover up! Whoosh!
Heres the printable: BEER BQ Sauce